Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

West Wing Map: Obama Style ... clck here


I thoroughly enjoyed the NBC News/Brian Williams special entitled, "The Obama White House." The two-part special aired last week and has the honor of a "NEVER DELETE" on our home Tivo machine.

I enjoyed the Obama campaign and have purposely given the administration a LOT of time to get settled before starting commentary. I will begin that commentary today with the following notes:

1. I think Obama's trip to the Middle East and his speech in Cairo were among the Top 10 most impactful political moves of my lifetime. It can become #1 if the follow-up goes well.

2. I think a 65% approval rating is VERY LOW. It should be in the 90% range. Period. No arguments. I will NOT listen!

2a. The actual steps, thoughts, moves, actions, calls, strategy sessions, national security meetings and other IMPORTANT things in the real world of government and The White House were not covered by NBC and are not visible to the public for obvious reasons. I'm okay with that and I respect the national security issues and the fact White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had to close his door or ask the film crew(s) to leave was very much a positive part of the NBC News documentary (deposit one Emmy Here, by the way).

I believe, the work being done in the White House - in both East and West Wing - is the most important work ever conducted by the people of the United States of America. Our international standing, our global foreign policy, our view of the world and the world's view of us has been negatively impacted by the Bush Administration (I blame Cheney and Rumsfeld, by the way, not the POTUS 43) for the years 2001-2009. It set us back decades and maybe 100-200 years in terms of foreign policy.

President Obama had to start to re-build the framework. His choice to "really" start with the Middle East and the Muslim community - in and outside of the USA - was brilliant. It can become a new frontier much like racial relations were to President JFK and his brother Robert in the 1960s.

My suggestion would be to also work a little closer to home and work together with Canada and Mexico on the issue of homeland security for the CONTINENT and the world would be a great step going forward. Let's work together on security, not just address "BORDER CROSSINGS."

Read on for far less important observations, please:

1. The PR stunt of Obama heading to "Five Guys" in DC for a burger run was TREMENDOUS. The reaction of the customers, the people on the streets jumping up and down and hugging was fabulous. It came so naturally, so wonderfully. Damn, the President of the United States very naturally took burger orders for his fellow-workers, remembered to take care of Brian Williams' order, then personally hand-delivered them to his staff. Does it get any better than that?

2. Duke's Reggie Love has a great job and he is very good at it. I hope to meet him someday and will take him with my cross-over dribble and fall-away jumper. Case closed -- St. John's over Duke once more.

3. The fact that basketball's get tossed around the oval office like bags of peanuts at Dodgers Stadium is the coolest thing I've ever seen in government.

4. Camille Johnson and the staff of the First Lady of the USA deserve equal mention and 100% of the support of the American public. Mrs. Obama is the REAL DEAL. Smart, great mom, real values, real sense of "where she is at" in history. The First Lady can impact this world like no other before her. She can surpass Ms. Jacqueline "Jackie" Lee Bouvier Kennedy Onassis and wouldn't that be a wonderful thing for us all to witness.

I could go on and on and on....

Here's to you, Mr President. You have earned the vote I cast for you in November. I proudly work to serve the United States of America. And, for the first time in nearly a decade, I am very, very proud of the direction that our country is headed. I am proud of our government and its administration and I will do what I can to help them move forward and not rehash the past.


No comments: