Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Friday, November 15, 2013

Downtown ...

It was Christmas Day of either '65 or '66 and my very first two 45s (yes, 45 RPM vinyl) were under the tree alongside my very first phonograph, also known as a Victrola, as it was made by the RCA Victor company.

Yes. A Victor Talking machine was hot stuff for a little kid and it was aglow under my tree, delivered by Santa sometime that December 25th night.

The 45s were:

"Turn, Turn, Turn" by The Byrds.

"Downtown" by Petula Clark

Ms. Clark turned 81 today, November 15th, so she was about 32-33 when she recorded "Downtown" after the Surrey, England vocalists was hitting a career crossroads after starting her singing at age 9 but struggling through much of the 50s and early '60s.

The Byrds dropped "Turn, Turn, Turn" in December of '65, so I'm guessing I was about 5 and one month when I fell in love with music, Ms. Clark and "Downtown!

Enjoy and Happy 81st Birthday to Petula Clark, wherever you are!



No comments: