I am not a big fan of Jon Bon Jovi. Why? I do not know.
Anthem rock is not my thing, I guess, although I have been known to groove to the sounds of Queen and "We Are the Champions" or "We Will Rock You." Bon Jovi just never hit me and for that matter, neither did Van Halen, KISS and a few others.
For me, they fall into the category of:
1. If their song comes up on the radio, I wouldn't change the station.
2. I did not and - most likely - will not buy an album
3. I am always happy and very willing to take in a live concert and would enjoy their shows.
I did just that with a David Lee Roth show, one time, at NYC's Nokia Theatre and we had a blast, although the best part of the show was when one of my buddies, with an extra ticket in hand, hit on some girl at an East Side Bar with the following pick-up line, "Hey, babe - You like Van Halen?"
Anyway, that intro brings me back to Jon Bon Jovi. My favorite thing about JBJ is his humility when Triumph the Sock Puppet just ripped him in a segment recorded prior to a Bon Jovi Show at NJ's Giants Stadium, including an on-stage cameo during the playing of "You Give Love a Bad Name."
(Triumph to Bon Jovi: "I hear your next role in a major motion picture is about a vampire?" Finally, a role that actually requires you to SUCK!")
So, why the sudden need to do a blog post about Bon Jovi? Two things....
1. He's among the headliners at the 12-12-12 concert for Sandy at MSG. That is a good thing. The guy deserves a TON of credit and is always "there" for the cause. He champions sports, music and his fans adore him. That's good enough for me.
2. The REAL reason I am writing this post is this fan music video, shot at TD Boston Garden during an in-arena scoreboard "Fan-Pan." I don't need to write anymore and will not spoil it. Just watch this, "Livin' on a Prayer" rendition...