Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ramble On ... TL + The Blog Get First AARP email


This just in...

The email inbox just gave me a shot in the side.  Delivered to my account today was my first email from the AARP.  That's the American Association of Retired Persons for those wondering.  Well, in 2007, I did step down from the NBA after 26+ years but I do not feel the least bit 'retired.'  In fact, like so many Americans approaching age 50 or beyond, I am facing tougher times and financial issues that I only thought my parents would face in this lifetime.  The generation of the 1950-60-70-80-90-2000s finally took on our cross to bear.

The Great Depression of the 30s turned into the years of war (WWII/Korea/Viet Nam, among others), but those born in 1959/60+ really led a rather apathetic existence in terms of world crisis.  Yes, we had a tumultuous beginning of witnessing the horrors of the Viet Nam war, which turned into the age of the 1960s and the obvious racial crisis, presidential assassination in 1962 and the assassinations of Robert F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the late 60s.

The Cuban missile crisis of the early 60s turned to the Gulf War, the gas crisis, the era of Nightline and its coverage of "America Held Hostage" which began the decade of the 1980s with American pride in the sewer.  Pride was restored and America took a turn to prosperity as Reagan, Bush (41) and President Clinton took the USA to new heights, only to be turned into a mess by Bush (43) and his Rumsfeld/Cheney and Company.

So, now?  Should I fill out the form or not?  

Am I retired?  I don't think so.  I don't feel retired.  Certainly, I am working longer hours and working harder than ever before in my life, and that is a statement in itself, considering the outright pounding that 25+ years in the trenches of public relations, communications, event organization and planning and media relations/crisis communications that were a HUGE part of the NBA's global outreach of 1980-2007.  

Should I have cashed in all $ and set sail to the shores of Monte Carlo, the beaches of Aruba or the western coast of Ireland?  Was that my destiny?  Or, was I supposed to give New England a chance and jump start "Part Two" of life in the year 2008-09 and beyond?

I could be in Chatham, Mass - the paradise of the United States, along with Hawaii. But, then again, Boston, the Garden, JOTS and a whole new world as an entrepreneur brings a sense of new excitement and anticipation to each new day of my life.

Retired?  No.  But, I might sign up to see if I can save some $ or generate some new business from the baby-boomers I now call colleagues.  And, remember, I'm still closer to 30 than I am to 70.

###

This Just in...

The Red Sox were just whooped by the Texas Rangers.  A mid summer slide is apparent.

###

This Just In...

The NBA today will announce that the Staples Center or the Office Supply ward, according to Peter Vecsey of the NY Post, will play host to the 2011 NBA All-Star weekend.  If you're wondering about the source, two sources close to the NBA team in the area, along with the Mayor of the City of Angels previewed the story, by the way.  One in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-all-star7-2009jun07,0,2878881.story

I was very fortunate to attend the 1983 and 2004 NBA All-Star games in Los Angeles.  The '83 game was the scene of one of my all-time favorite NBA moments.  See this: Click HERE:

http://terrylyons.com/ws/favorite_highlights_4.php

This Just In...

I had the Superfecta in the running of the Belmont Stakes.  (Boxed).  The longshot coming up top was the holy grail for horse players.  

http://www.onlinesportshandicapping.com/news-8/horse-racing-picks/060609-2009-belmont-stakes-picks-miners-escape-brave-victory-belmont-picks.html

###

This Just IN...

I love the way Jeff VanGundy refers to the "National Media" as though it is someone other than he and his colleagues. Have you noticed that?  If so, please send your comments in on JVG and the overall TV coverage.  I believe the NBA on TNT and the NBA on ESPN/ABC are in good hands.  TNT had the best post season coverage in NBA history this year.  ESPN is doing its best to keep the pace.


No comments: