Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Charles ...



I'm not sure if Diane Pucin has ever shared a beer or two with Charles Barkley. I really wish she did because she captured the real Charles and helped the readers of the LA Times understand the man behind the character he created as a Hall of Fame NBA player and a tremendous TNT studio analyst.

Charles took his dose of medicine with a TNT suspension and he will deal with the legal troubles resulting from his DWI. He apologized, he recognized his mistake and admitted it on the air and its streaming archives for all the world to see. He was sincere in his apology with his voice cracking from emotion as he recognized the hundreds of people who make up his support group and extended NBA family.

We've all made mistakes. Charles made a huge mistake but and is stepping up to take responsibility. He deserves the support and has earned every bit of it because of his honesty and sincerity over the course of his career as a player and broadcaster. (Can you believe it's already 8 years at TNT)?

Charles has earned my support, respect and trust over the years. He said the math on someone's trust level can never go over 100% and mocked the athletes who promise 110% or more. Amen Chuck. And, a thanks to Diane Pucin for writing the the column.


Apology was vintage Charles Barkley

His mea culpa for his DUI arrest was heartfelt and a little bit in your face, just as Barkley usually conducts his business.
by Diane Pucin

February 20, 2009

Charles Barkley didn't blame a wife or a cousin or the family dog for putting some unknown substance into his glass or forcing him to get behind the wheel of some unidentifiable vehicle after having a drink.

Barkley came back to the TNT "Inside The NBA" show Thursday night for the first time in nearly two months and he was mostly just Charles, maybe biting his lip a little but also accepting blame for his arrest in December for driving under the influence.

"Let me start by saying something," Barkley said as TNT came on the air before the San Antonio at Detroit game.

"Clearly everybody knows I got a DUI. That's unacceptable, 100% my fault," he said. " . . . I screwed up, I made a mistake, I'm sorry, I apologize."

There it was, nothing awkward and also a little bit in your face, just as Barkley usually conducts his business, good or bad.

"Never get behind the wheel when I've been drinking," Barkley said to anchor Ernie Johnson who asked what lessons Barkley may have learned from his DUI episode in December that caused Barkley to be arrested.

"First of all, every person who's drunk thinks it's OK to drive . . . but, seriously, if you have a drink, seriously think about it. If I've had a glass of wine or a beer, that's different. But if I had something to drink, I'll seriously think and not get behind the wheel."

There was the Everyman in Barkley. No one will take his advice if he says everyone who has a glass of wine or a beer shouldn't drive. Maybe not the most well-considered words from someone whose drunk-driving arrest has been so notable, but Barkley-honest.

He also thanked TNT management, kind of. "As far as the bigwigs at TNT, I never trusted them 110%," Barkley said. "I've been here eight years and we don't spend a lot of time together . . . but I want to tell them it meant a great deal for them to stick by me through my screw-up."

Barkley had already done an interview with Johnson, posted on NBA.com, and said his legal case was still in the system, that it was possible he might face jail time and most certainly would have to undergo some sort of alcohol counseling. Johnson asked Barkley if that was necessary.

"Well," Barkley said, "I think it's going to be good for me, to be honest. I need to make sure drinking is not a problem for me. I just want some professionals to talk to me about it."

That was it. Back to basketball and to a better show. Barkley is what makes the show pop. And if Barkley's lessons aren't well-learned, as he said, the world will know. Those camera phones are everywhere.

-TL-

No comments: