Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Monday, June 2, 2008

When I think of a Boston vs. LA Finals, I think....





14,890 vs. 17,505

American Airlines DC 10s from Logan to LAX ... Boston Marriott Copley Place to LAX Airport Marriott ... In 1984, the LAX Airport Marriott pool was the best hotel pool I had seen outside of Fla ...I think of Rambis Youth ... I think of a Gerald Henderson/Kevin McHale clothesline foul put to Rambis on the break ... I think of ML Carr swinging a towel ...I think of a rookie named Rick Carlisle who DND for the Finals ... I think of North End Italian dinners and a place called "Scotch and Sirloin." ... Dockside ...Boston Garden staircases, hot, sticky, sweaty days ... I think of CBS Sports with Brent, Dick Stockton and Tommy Heinsohn ...

I remember stacks of messages and seating charts to be done in LA with my buddy, Josh...I think of "Where do we put Sam?" ... I think of McIntyre taking one long draw on a cigarette and watching it disappear in front of my eyes ... I think of the Forum Club entrance ... Limousines for the Stars.

Mostly, I remember great basketball. I'll let many of the others, most who weren't there but were watching on TV recount the great days and great plays, like "Henderson stole the ball."

I am still shocked that Worthy threw that pass so softly. It might have been the only mistake I've ever seen him make in a "Big Game."

I think of a little saying we had, "You've only got to win one game... the last one."

I remember the work room by the guard shack and always using the entrance by the popcorn machine.

I think of Storrow Drive to Causeway Street vs. Arbor Vitae to Manchester and Prarie.

Post Game 7 in 1984, I remember crushed press tables, mayhem, and stomped cars all along the streets.

Post Game 6 in 1985? The Lakers had their win at the Garden and everyone knew, it was so special to them.

Each and every year, the hallway outside of the locker rooms was known as "Normandy Beach." .. Fred Kerber tagged it. He wasn't too far off.

Wayne and Ray vs. Gary and Rudy. All good people.

Jon Moore at the Marriott. The birth of Marriott points.

I think of the change from 2-2-1-1-1 to 2-3-2.

Red and Jan Volk vs. Jerry West.

LA's Dr Buss vs. Boston's owner trio of Don Gaston, Alan Cohen and another co-owner who lived in London. (Paul Dupee).

PR guys Tod and Jeff with their trusty assistant Dave Z in Boston working shoulder to shoulder with LA's great Josh, one of my closest friends over the years.

Mitch Chortkoff of Santa Monica, Earl Bloom of the OCR, LAT beat Tommy Bonk, LA Herald Examiner writer Rich Levin, now with MLB, and the late great Frank Brady.

In Boston, Shaughnessy, Ryan, Montville and a young columnist to be in Jackie. Mike Fine. Mike Carey, Steve Bulpett. The sheer numbers of writers and newspapers were astonishing.

Nowhere near enough room in the lockers post game.

And, I think of the CBS Sports guys...Mike Burks, Sandy Grossman, Ted Shaker among so many others.

No comments: