Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ramble On ... Favre, Steve Hondo and Davidson SOCON basketball ...

The timing of the announcement on Brett Favre's retirement from the NFL was interesting. Why now?

I read into it a bit and that connection will help me mourn my brother's sudden and early death. I have one special memory of Favre's career as a Green Bay Packers QB. As I remember, it was a Monday Night Football game that I watched in Hoboken with my buddy, Chris B., and Favre played very well -- a come-from-behind-W with a few TDs upon hearing of his father's death.

For that game and many more thereafter, Favre answered the bell. He reached deep and used his father as motivation in the most positive way. He didn't mope around. He didn't feel sorry for himself. He rallied. He didn't give up. He showed up for work and performed at a very high level.

I have mentioned my brother in this blog a number of times over the past few days, and have done so in a selfish way to help me move forward, to help me mourn, to provide a little insight to readers without going overboard.

I might sprinkle a few more items in if it strikes me. I'm not sure. I ask you to bear with me on this and feel free to provide some feedback.

***

I enjoy listening to Mike and Mike radio on ESPN2 in the morning. I also like ESPN's First Take.

***

We're thinking of buying a car!

It'll be the first car that I will purchase since my prized 1980 Chevy Camaro.

The finalists: Honda CR V, Toyota Rav4 (isn't it funny that the 4 and the $ are the same key on a typewriter keyboard?), the Acura RDX.

Lease or buy?

These models or another?

Discuss?

***

When I buy the car, it will need a nickname.

Our family has had a few cool nicknames for cars, the best being "Tin Can" a description for a Martin family car that my kids are NOT allowed to enter!

The all time best? A Buick, named Johnny Bucyk.

If we buy the Honda, I will name it after Louie Carnesecca's all-time favorite BIG East/college basketball ref, Steve Hondo.

***

A few people have asked how the COVERT trail is moving along? Quite nicely, is the answer. A CNN piece is upcoming - most likely airing next weekend on CNN and CNN Headline News. Bob Delaney continues to do a ton of media, especially when he does local book signings in the likes of Detroit, San Antonio and a few others. He did about 10-12 TV interviews via a satellite tour and a number of fans have been seeking out copies of COVERT in all corners of the USA and Canada.

***

This just in from the SOCON:

Davidson coach Bob McKillop won in the voting for the Anton Foy Coach of the Year Award. McKillop led the Wildcats to a perfect 20-0 record in conference play and an overall mark of 23-6. Davidson owns the nation’s longest winning streak (19) and has won 31 consecutive Southern Conference games and 44 of the last 45.

***

Here is some more:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. --- Davidson sophomore Stephen Curry, the leading scorer in the Southern Conference in 2007-08, was named the league’s Player of the Year in a vote of the conference coaches. The guard from Charlotte, N.C. received the maximum 10 votes from the coaches (coaches were not permitted to vote for their own players). UNC Greensboro’s record-setting forward Kyle Hines received one first-place vote.

The Citadel’s Cameron Wells earned Freshman of the Year recognition, receiving five votes from the coaches. The guard from Houston, Texas is the league’s leading scorer among freshman. Appalachian State’s Donald Sims (three votes), Georgia Southern’s Willie Powers (two votes) and College of Charleston’s Andrew Goudelock (one vote) also received consideration.

Davidson coach Bob McKillop was named Coach of the Year by his peers. McKillop led the Wildcats to a perfect 20-0 record in conference play and an overall mark of 23-6. Davidson owns the nation’s longest winning streak (19) and has won 31 consecutive Southern Conference games and 44 of the last 45.

***

Davidson won its first round Southern Conference match-up over Wofford, 82-49. I spoke with Coach McKillop when his Davidson Wildcats were en route to Charleston for the tournament. He passed along his condolences as he knew my brother Tim from early coaching stints on Long Island.

I had one request- a la Talia Shire (Adrian) in Rocky.

W's. A lot of Davidson W's.

They are Top 25.

-30-

No comments: