Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Saturday, October 6, 2007

So, "T" - do you miss it?


The most common question that I've been asked as NBA training camp has opened and the NBA Europe Live event barnstormed towards Istanbul, Treviso, Rome, Malaga and Madrid is - "So, T? Do you miss it?"

I can honestly say, that I do not.

When the time rolled around last Friday, I remembered back - that it was a year to the date that I was boarding a trans-atlantic flight to Barcelona to work the first NBA Europe live event with the 76ers playing against FC Barcelona at the famed Palau Sant Jordi arena on Montjuic in the heart of Barcelona.

That Friday night a year ago brings a vivid memory. My friends had offered an extra "Eric Clapton" concert ticket for The Garden and I was unable to attend as I wanted to be a full 24+ hours ahead of the 76ers when they touched down at their hotel. I thought to myself, "How can you be complaining about missing a concert when you are jetting off to one of the greatest cities in the world?"

I thought about the earlier trips, say 1988, to the McDonald's Open in Madrid when we would have to go a full two or three weeks ahead of the event date in order to allow enough time - with such limited staffing - to prepare properly. I was only 24 hours ahead because some of the others had paved the way for us. I would be away some 14 or 15 days, not 25 or 30 days.

Now, back to my original premise and question - about missing it or not.

I have to say that I have enjoyed following the event from afar. I have watched as the pre-tourney conference calls led to beat writers descending to the cities, to nba.com coverage to team coverage to VNRs. I have thought about all the hard work that goes into making those things happen. The planning, the reservations, the media credentials, the credential check-in, the give and take with the teams and their players and coaches to allow for training and media access.

The NBAE requests, which are always plentiful. (Sound of a screeching stop).

Wait?

NBA Entertainment requests? The endless stream of bigtime needs that often drive the teams crazy? Am I writing that I miss that?

Yes. And I miss the comraderie that came with it, as we often worked side-by-side with some of the NBAE's most talented and dogged producers. We would lay a little groundwork, compare schedules, share assignments and work with the NBA team PR people to arrange photos shoots.

The shot of Bargani in Rome, noted above, is one that I would call - "Money shot" or Money in the bank. Pay dirt.

Truth be told, it is something that I miss. Getting the shot. Getting it done.

But wait, I've got a concert to attend. Springsteen anyone? Gotta go.

No comments: