Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tribute to John Lennon #9

The White Album (The Beatles)
By Terry Lyons - October 9, 2012 -- May John rest in peace on this day, a day that should've been his 72nd birthday and celebrated in the heart of New York City.

***
"Revolution 9 was an unconscious picture of what I actually think will happen when it happens; just like a drawing of a revolution. All the thing was made with loops. I had about 30 loops going, fed them onto one basic track. I was getting classical tapes, going upstairs and chopping them up, making it backwards and things like that, to get the sound effects. One thing was an engineer's testing voice saying, 'This is EMI test series number nine'. I just cut up whatever he said and I'd number nine it. Nine turned out to be my birthday and my lucky number and everything. I didn't realise it: it was just so funny the voice saying, 'number nine'; it was like a joke, bringing number nine into it all the time, that's all it was.."      - John Lennon Rolling Stone, 1970

***

Said Lennon: "The first home he lived in was at 9 Newcastle Road, WavertreeLiverpool - three names which each contain nine letters. Newcastle Road was his grandfather's house, and while living there Lennon later wrote One After 909 (editor's note: Frequently, the Fab Faux will take the state at either 9:09 or 9:10pm as a tribute).  Continues Lennon, "I lived in 9 Newcastle Road. I was born on the ninth of October, the number follows me around."

Other notable coincidences:
  • The Beatles' first appearance at the Cavern Club was on 9 February 1961.
  • Brian Epstein, The Beatles' manager, first saw them perform on 9 November 1961.
  • The group's contract with EMI was confirmed on 9 May 1962.
  • The Beatles' debut single, Love Me Do, was on Parlophone R4949.
  • Their record-breaking debut appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show was on 9 February 1964.
  • The Beatles disbanded in 1970, after nine years together.
Revolution 9 was probably the main reason for the remasters release album date being chosen as 9 September 2009. 

Most importantly from the notes above, the great John Lennon was born on Wednesday 9 October 1940 (some reports say at 6.30am) in Liverpool, England.

My small tribute:


Hope you've enjoyed my short homage to John, and to conclude, one of my very favorite Lennon songs:



No comments: