Fanatics - Customized NFL Gear

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ramble On ... News Items...


This from the Deseret News:
Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan on Thursday underwent surgery to replace his right knee, and according to general manager Kevin O'Connor, the procedure was deemed to be "successful."

A full recovery is expected. According to a statement from the Jazz released Thursday evening, Dr. Russell Nelson performed the operation in Salt Lake City.

That's the same doctor who performed hip-replacement surgery on Phil Johnson, Sloan's longtime top assistant coach. Sloan is under contract for next season, and when the team cleaned out its lockers Tuesday, he gave ample indication that he intends to return for a 22nd season as head coach.

A successful surgery, he suggested then, would have no negative impact on that decision.

The Jazz's postseason ended with a Game 5 first-round playoff loss to the Los Angeles Lakers last Monday night. Sloan will be inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame this coming September.


SIXERS to MAKE CHANGES: reports that Andre Iguadala was predicting some massive changes to the team over the course of the next few months, including player personnel, anc coaching moves. See this from Phila:

"Moves. It's going to be a busy summer," Iguodala said. "I'm going to sit down with Ed and discuss what I think will get us over the hump."

As for coach Tony DiLeo, the team's assistant GM who replaced Maurice Cheeks in December and led the club to the playoffs, well, Iguodala didn't exactly endorse his soft-spoken boss.

"We'll see about that," he said, when asked whether DiLeo should return. "We'll talk. We'll try to get the best-case scenario."



Just an amazing story of human interest, passion and glory:

Read ON:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- A school nurse likely saved the life of a softball coach suffering from a heart attack just moments before collapsing herself. She later died.

Eileen Bowden, 59, gave John Rahbar CPR minutes after he collapsed with no pulse while collecting foul balls following a team practice, San Francisco television station KTVU reported.
Bowden's actions kept Rahbar alive until paramedics arrived, but then suddenly fell to the ground.

"After that, Ms. Bowden kind of got up, in just a brief moment, she fell down and seemed to need medical assistance," Santa Clara School District spokeswoman Tabitha Kappler-Hurley said. "She was taken to Valley Medical Center and unfortunately died en route."

Bowden rotated between five schools in the district, spending one day a week on each campus. She was also a police officer with the Santa Clara Police Department.

Bowden lived in Half Moon Bay and leaves behind a 12-year-old daughter. Officials said Bowden was extremely dedicated to the school community.

Rahbar's wife said he suffered a heart attack. He's expected to be released from the hospital in a few days. Rahbar's wife expressed deep gratitude to the nurse for her actions and sympathy towards her family. She said she believes her husband might not have survived if not for Bowden's aid.

It is still unclear what caused Bowden's death.

No comments: