Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ramble On ... All-time teams



Earlier this week, I was contacted by Jan Hubbard, columnist for the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, for my opinion/vote on the Celtics and Lakers "All-time" teams. I did not follow Hubbard's one simple rule which eliminated Kevin Garnett from eligibility on these teams. I think KG has earned a place in Celtics all-time team lore. Click on Ramble On headline above for Hubbard's fine story, printed on Thursday and see my votes listed here:

First Teams:

LA
Baylor
Worthy
Kareem
West
Magic

Boston
Bird
McHale
Russell
Cousy
Sam Jones

Second teams:

LA

Mikkelson
McMillian
Wilt
Kobe
Goodrich

Boston
Heinsohn
Garnett
Cowens
Sharman
Havlicek

Third teams:

LA
Pollard
Cooper
Shaq
Byron Scott
Slater Martin

Boston

Macauley
Maxwell
Parish
Jo Jo White
DJ

My apologies go out to a very, very good player, namely: George Mikan. Hubbard made the point that Mikan won out over Wilt Chamberlain, with the fact that Wilt joined the Lakers late in his career and he was nowhere near the player he had been with Philadelphia. I agree with that point and can say - after the fact- that I would change my vote if I had thought of it in that manner. In addition, the following players deserve mention: Tom "Satch" Sanders, Jamaal Wilkes, Frank Ramsay, and Tiny Archibald, among others.

***


Why is it The NBA Finals but, in hockey, the Stanley Cup final?

***

I miss Bill Walton.

***

Just what we needed, more Fantasy Sports news at: www.fantasynews.cbssports.com


-30-

No comments: