Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Tale of the Sports E-Mail and assorted junk ...

I admit, I sign up for automated emails and breaking news flashes on a far too regular basis. I think the acronym RSS doesn't stand for 'really simple syndication' but rather 'really stupid sign-up.'

My MacBook Pro email inbox is clogged with feeds from four different emails, including: terrynba, terryelevate, tl at terrylyons and my, new, official work email.

Here are a few of the culprits, all soon to be eliminated:

Jerry Remy's Remdog report;

CNN's Breaking News;

The New York Times' PLAY... NY Times' CIRCUIT, and Stuart Elliot's marketing and advertising email;

Wall Street Journal's THE FIX and THE DAILY WRAP;

Boston.com's @Bat Insider;

New York Times Ticketwatch which is a listing of ticket discounts and opportunities for Broadway plays and other New York City music and theatre events. I tried to unsubscribe and opt-out, but it the NYT doesn't recognize the entry.

I get "ALERTS" from Google (Anything on Covert, Bob Delaney); and anything on Elevate Communications; From the NYT, anything and everything on USA Basketball and a few others.

Chuck Schumer and Barack Obama are regularly dropping emails into my box, or at least I pretend the correspondence is from the candidates, along with an occasional email blast from Howard Dean, God Bless his heart. And, my new best friend seems to be David Plouffe, the Campaign Manager for Mr. Obama.

Senator Schumer recently wrote:

Dear T

One of the DSCC's most important responsibilities is to keep you, our most dedicated supporter, up-to-the-minute on all the latest developments from Senate campaigns across the country. This job is especially significant during this critical election year, when so much media attention is focused on the presidential race.

That's why the DSCC's Amy Rubin is traveling to all our key states - video camera in hand - to give you the inside story on how we're going to expand our Senate majority in November.

For her most recent video, I dispatched Amy to New Orleans where she toured the devastated Lower Ninth Ward with Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu. This new clip captures the real connection between Senator Landrieu and the people she serves.

Click here to take a look at our new video from New Orleans. It's just the latest dispatch from our new series, The Road to Victory.
www.dscc.org/roadtovictory

I like the fact that he calls me, "T" and I remember signing up with just the single initial wondering if it would qualify as a first name.

Moving right along ...

FIBA sends a few press releases and I consider myself very informed when I know the schedule of the women's Olympic qualifying tournament that will take place this June and the fact that Ubekistan is the 51st ranked womens team on the planet.

Media Bistro sends a couple emails to me each and every weekday with the Media Bistro Fishbowl for NY and DC. I enjoy reading it - at least - three of five days.

The Marketing Daily from MediaPost always gets a few minutes of my time in the morning, as does The Sports Business Daily, of course.

My favorite email is the Boston Sports Media pushed to my account and it is accessible by clicking on the Tale of Sports Email headline above.

Boston Magazine sends a few emails per week, many of them useful.

I get ads from ITunes and Pottery Barn, from Dell and from Fresh Direct. When I see the Fresh Direct, I daydream, thinking how nice it will be to go to a real grocery store in the suburbs, a Stop and Shop or a "Star Market" and shop for things, put them in the car (or CR-V or Rav 4) and drive them back home.

Gibson Guitar sends the greatest emails which feature their newest and classic guitars. The emails have me thinking about purchasing guitars and I can't even play the instrument.

Madison Square Garden, Live Nation, Nokia, Ticketmaster, the Bowery Ballroom and the Merc Lounge send emails and monthly calendars for concerts, sporting events and shows, often tempting me with advance sale offers and VIP seating arrangments. And, the ABB sends the wonderful "Hitting the Note" emails with links to the Allman Brothers Instant Live CDs that I love so much.

Since I am starting to ramble on and sound a bit like Andy Rooney, I think I'll cut it off now, as I am sure you get the picture. If not, I might pick it up with the next...Ramble On.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terry, Your website is amazing! Congratulations and best of luck on your new ventures.