Fanatics

NFLShop.com - Customized NFL Gear

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A REAL Thanksgiving ...

USA Today ran an interesting article about a "REAL" thanksgiving that took place in September, 1565 in St. Augustine, Fla - some 56 years before the date the American tradition celebrates each year as a remembrance of the Plymouth, Massachusetts pilgrims. The concept first surfaced in 1985 after a reporter from the Associated Press hacked-out a column and presented the research to the American public.

Well, the story is an interesting read and I linked it to the headline "A REAL Thanksgiving .." above.

But, I have decided to write a few notes to describe my own "REAL" thanksgiving.

That is a thanksgiving that goes to the root of the entire holiday. I want to take a few days to relax with my family and take stock of all that I have to be thankful for. A tremendous life. I want to say thanks for living the true American dream and doing so in a job that allowed me to travel the world to get a better understanding and appreciation of everything that I have to be thankful for. I also want to thank and point out that I had a support group of wife, kids, family that sacrificed a lot as I lived that job and American dream.

I feel very fortunate and have always made a point on Thanksgiving to say thanks to some special people in my life.

This year, with the blog in full tilt, I will take the opportunity to thank everyone that reads this, because, chances are, you are among the small family and support group... my true friends. If you stumbled on to this site, I encourage you to keep reading over the months to come, because this is going to be a fun time, a great year.

I want to dedicate this entry, however, to the person most responsible for my life and the success I've enjoyed over the years.

So, it's a simple Thanksgiving message and it works from sea to shining sea... it is a message that works in Plymouth, Mass or in St. Augustine, Fla. My message of thanks is this:

"Thanks, Mom." Thanks for everything you have done for me. I love you.

No comments: